Located at South 5th Street and Dow Street. Built: 1869, demolished: 1893.
Posted by Bruce Brownlee: "This was the school that preceded the castle on the land between Dow Street and Broadway." From Facebook - click here for original post and comments.
Located where the Broadway Elementary school playground is now, the "Castle" was separated into two sides: the north half was for the girls and the southern half was for the boys. The "Castle" was demolished in 1966. According to the Facebook post, some of the students called it Pigeon Hall because "the birds would fly into the building through the broken windows on the second floor."
Now the Broadway Elementary playground, this school, often referred to as "the Castle," was built in 1893-1894 and demolished in 1966. According to Gordon Pittenger, there also used to be a structure atop it called the Bell Tower - the bell from that tower now sits in the entry to the Tipp Public Library. From Facebook - click here for the original post and comments.