Located 15 miles north of Dayton just off I-75 in the heartland of America, Tipp City is one of the premier dining and shopping destinations in Ohio. Recently voted one of the Five Best Hometowns in Ohio, Tipp City exudes Midwestern friendliness and small-town charm. Our historic downtown shopping district combines a love of historical accuracy with the latest in shopping and dining experiences.
Tippecanoe City was founded in 1840 along the developing Miami and Erie Canal. Its name derives from Presidential candidate William Henry Harrison's nickname, Tippecanoe, which, in turn, was derived from his heroism at the Battle of Tippecanoe, November 7, 1811. The early city was a popular stopping-off point for boatmen traveling along the Miami and Erie Canal. The original downtown purportedly included a large number of bars and a red light district. The now dry canal locks can be seen just east of downtown. As Tippecanoe City grew, it merged with Hyattsville, a contiguous village, located on present-day Hyatt Street.
Development of the railroads in the 1850's and 1860's put the canals out of business and slowed the city's initially rapid growth. Ruins of a repair shop (yard barn) for the old Inter-Urban rail system can still be seen on the outskirts of town. The development of U.S. Route 25 (County Road 25-A) and subsequently Interstate 75 brought construction and vibrancy back to the town throughout the 20th century. (Wikipedia)
Why is it called "Tipp City?"
In the 1930's, confusion developed between Tippecanoe City and another small town located in norther Ohio called Tippecanoe. Mail was sometimes delivered to the wrong town, so in 1938, the U.S. Postal Service abbreviated "Tippecanoe City" to "Tipp City" to resolve the issue. Local proponents of a name change back to the original "Tippecanoe City" have long been gathering signatures for a proposed petition to revert to the original name.
This is Main Street looking east from the Third Street intersection. You can see the Tipp Monroe building is still a theater, but all the windows and tower are the same. There is a bike rack out front. Also the house is still standing between the Benkins building and the opera house - it's now the bank.
This building is at Main and Third. You can see the original fire station and steps leading up to the old Public Library. After a new building was constructed next door in 1962, the Library moved.
Posted by Christopher Detrick on Facebook - click here for original post and comments.
If you have any information about any of these photos, please contact us via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/visittippcity
Located at South 5th Street and Dow Street. Built: 1869, demolished: 1893.
Posted by Bruce Brownlee: "This was the school that preceded the castle on the land between Dow Street and Broadway." From Facebook - click here for original post and comments.
Located where the Broadway Elementary school playground is now, the "Castle" was separated into two sides: the north half was for the girls and the southern half was for the boys. The "Castle" was demolished in 1966. According to the Facebook post, some of the students called it Pigeon Hall because "the birds would fly into the building through the broken windows on the second floor."
Posted by Matt Owen to Facebook - click here for original post and comments. Also posted by Gordon Pittenger: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203840472564015&set=o.173806662690089&type=1&theater
Now the Broadway Elementary playground, this school, often referred to as "the Castle," was built in 1893-1894 and demolished in 1966. According to Gordon Pittenger, there also used to be a structure atop it called the Bell Tower - the bell from that tower now sits in the entry to the Tipp Public Library. From Facebook - click here for the original post and comments.